Full Job Description:
Country Director, Nigeria
Location: Nigeria, Abuja
Division: Program Management
Status: International Full Time
IFES is an international, nonprofit organization that supports the building of democratic societies. IFES provides targeted technical assistance to strengthen transitional democracies. Founded in 1987 as a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization, IFES has developed and implemented comprehensive, collaborative democracy solutions in more than 120 countries.
IFES is proposing a capacity-building program in support of the professionalisation of Nigeria’s electoral process in the run-up to the next Presidential elections, building upon our work in Nigeria between 1998 - 2009.
Position Summary: The Country Director will manage the IFES program in Nigeria. Primary responsibilities will include program management and implementation, and management of the IFES field office in Abuja. The Country Director is also responsible for identifying new opportunities for IFES within the existing program and beyond. The ideal candidate will have previously managed projects to promote democratic development, and will have had extensive experience in at least one of the following areas: supporting good governance, strengthening election administration and enhancing civil society development.
The Country Director represents IFES in country as the organization’s primary representative and on-site coordinator of programming with local and international actors. S/he is responsible for maintaining pro-active contacts with Liberian leaders-both governmental and non-governmental, IFES’ funders and the international donor community.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Manage the implementation of IFES’ projects in Nigeria;
• Provide daily management and oversight of local and expatriate staff based in Nigeria;
• Develop and maintain relationships with Nigerian partners, civil society groups and other stakeholders, including international NGOs and the donor community;
• Organize training workshops and programs to enhance election reform in Nigeria;
• Manage IFES programs with the Independent National Election Commission;
• Explore new opportunities and design initiatives for IFES in Nigeria;
• Draft reports to HQ, donors and other stakeholders; and
• Manage and report on IFES/Nigeria finances.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
The Country Director must be engaged - a dynamic leader, flexible, adaptable and a team player who demonstrates leadership under challenging conditions. In addition, the Director is required to have the following expertise:
• English language fluency—writing and speaking.
• Ten years of experience in democratic development. Experience in Africa strongly preferred.
• Experience in implementing election-focused projects.
• Graduate degree in public policy/administration, political science or law would be advantageous.
• Demonstrated program and financial management experience.
• Experience as a dynamic and engaged action-oriented interlocutor with democracy-development actors at all levels—grassroots to the highest national and international levels.
• Personnel and office management experience-including management, training and development of local staff.
• Experience in proposal writing and budgeting, and liaising with donors.
• Experience in living and working overseas, preferably in Africa
• Strong oral and written communication skills and skills in PC-based word processing, spreadsheets and e-mail technology.
Successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the following attributes:
• Maturity, sound judgment, and ability to exercise common sense
• Cultural sensitivity
• Diplomatic tact
Apply for this position